I AM STORMY COMPEÁN SWEITZER :: WRITER, EVERYDAY EXPLORER, GUIDE, AND PROFESSIONAL PROBLEM-SOLVER
And, yes, Stormy is my given name. . .changed from Alexandra (like women in the Russian history my mom was fascinated with) at the last minute in recognition of the snow storm that nearly prevented my parents from making it to the hospital in time for my birth. Different from Lucia, the saint name my devout Catholic grandmother thought would be a less-stripper-like name for me. And, only slightly more “normal” than the wildly imaginative, and possibly inappropriate, childhood nickname Maoomba-Goomba Queen of the Jungle my whimsical father called me.
With names and stories and cultural influences like these, it’s no wonder I became a writer, developed a love of the world–both natural and human, and have spent my life and career trying to figure out why things and people are the way they are.
In my work as a writer, speaker, consultant/problem-solver, and guide, I have had the honor of serving thousands of the young and young-at-heart at both individual and organizational levels for over 20 years, helping them manage fear of failing or trying something new, make sense of their experience and perceptions, apply curiosity, strategy, and action to pursuing a seemingly-distant vision in a manageable way, craft purposeful careers and lives, and explore the unknown for new possibilities.
I believe that life is meant to be an achingly beautiful, awe-inspiring, and moving experience in which we feel alive to our very core, despite our fears, doubts, and fumbles. This belief fuels my explorations into how we experience life and make sense of and navigate our daily reality. In a nutshell, I am a person easily moved, practical by nature, passionate about people, frequently wonderstruck, and infinitely curious. And I am dedicated to helping my clients and readers learn, grow, create, discover and express themselves in their unique ways.
I am also dedicated to living my own life to its fullest. This site is home to my everyday explorer’s journal and creative exploratorium. Welcome!
Currently, I create things for and work with people who dare to explore life and their selves more fully:
- I facilitate Women’s Leadership Development retreats for high-potential women who are seeking ways to balance life and career with my colleagues at the Villa Leadership Group.
- I speak, write and contribute to books and essays about everyday exploration, food & adventure, wonder, business, and this journey called life. My latest book is a YA environmental spy thriller called The Drowning Shark.
- A handful of times a year, I lead Global Foods Market Tours for private groups and through the local university. You can find my favorite globally-inspired recipes here
- The Exploratorium is for people needing inspiration and prompts for reflection and ways to cultivate their curiosity and self-expression.
- I write a very infrequent newsletter called The Everyday Explorer about everyday exploration, coming into one’s own, the nature and nurture of a creative life, and musings on the source material–dreams & imaginings, sensory delights, wondrous encounters, observations, and deep unknowns–that inspire me. Sometimes, I also tell tales–made-up and true—and share my latest adventures and updates on my work in progress (which, sometimes, is myself). You can sign up here:
Stormy, I am so grateful for your site ~ it is vibrant & compelling. I feel refreshed, uplifted and renewed by your writing today. Thanks so much for what you bring!Barbara Coon, Craniosacral Healer
Recent Interviews and Articles
- Awareness, Empathy, and Action: Turning a Decade-Old Lesson Into Reality (Chris Guillebeau’s Blog)
- Salt Lake City’s Global Foodie Stormy Sweitzer (interview on i8tonite)
- #StudyAbroadBecause it forever changes the way you see yourself (interview on Wandering Educators)
- The Traveling Web Entrepreneur’s Technology Back-up Plan (featured on The Suitcase Entrepreneur)
- Pink Man (essay featured in MappingSLC, a not-for-profit community project based on Rebecca Solnit’s book Infinite City)
- Kloofing Nuy River Gorge in South Africa (originally featured in Stray Outdoors, an outdoor adventure publication)